On 12/6/05, Elton Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Happy days are here. We have a brand new server. Our 11 year old Sun
> box is being retired and an new one is replacing it. Unfortunately I
> need to get DBI and DBD:Informix installed on the new system. I have
> not had to install anything in a long time. So bear with me, I am
> rusty at this.
>
> Can I use the CPAN module to do this? If so, would 'install DBI' be
> the proper command? Followed by 'install DBD::Informix'?

Yes, with caveats.

Presumably you're using Solaris 10?

I suggest looking hard at building your own Perl rather than using the one
distributed by Sun.

You need to get CPAN up and running (or CPANPLUS).  That's not too hard:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::CPAN'

Before installing DBD::Informix, you need a working version of CSDK
(ClientSDK).
Working means, primarily, that you can connect to an IDS database whereever
you keep the database server, whether on the new Sun box or somewhere else.
That piece of configuration is independent of DBD::Informix, and the
Makefile.PL script insists that you do it.  (Well, you can override the test
- read the documentation; it is not recommended.)

If you have a working CSDK, then your outline is fine.

(Oh, I assume you have the correct C compiler for your Perl; if not, rebuild
Perl with the compiler you do have.)

--
Jonathan Leffler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2005.02 - http://dbi.perl.org