Hi,

        I was hoping to start a discussion about this; there is currently no
place on CPAN specifically designated for a distribution that supplies a
database schema, and perl modules specifically for interacting with that
schema. As such they generally end up in DBIx::foo, along with things that
extend DBI itself, or bundled inside a larger package (Catalyst,
CGI::Session, Business:: distributions that do more than just touch the
schema, etc). I've sent a module submission request into PAUSE to get the
people in control of the module namespaces thinking about it, here it is.
I'm not sure if DBIx::DB is the best place for this (DBIx::Schema would have
been great but it's name is taken for a schema management system), but
there's got to be *somewhere* we could standardize on to put these things...

        Cheers,
                Tyler

----- Forwarded message from Perl Authors Upload Server <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
-----

  modid:       DBIx::DB
  DSLIP:       idhhp
  userid:      CRAKRJACK (Tyler MacDonald)
  chapterid:   7 (Database_Interfaces)
  communities:
    dbi-users@perl.org

  similar:

  rationale:

    I've looked around on CPAN and there doesn't seem to be "one place"
    for distributions that provide:

    - A database schema, and - A perl interface to that database schema

    Instead, people seem to make up their own convention, or even
    worse, bundle their database-driven objects into a much larger
    package (eg; coupling an authentication database to a particular
    server's implementation, or coupling a URL keyword indexing database
    to a particular web spider).

    I'm a big fan of having more smaller pieces, and of knowing where
    to look to find them. Instead of names like "DBIx::UserDB" and
    "CGI::Session::DBI" I'd eventually like to see "DBIx::DB::User" and
    "DBIx::DB::Session". Those examples were contrived for a reason:
    They're two packages that could be very useful when used together!
    but as it stands, there is no DBIx::UserDB distribution, instead
    SearchProfiles and Apache-iNcom both bundle the package in
    themselves (requiring you to install one or the other to use it),
    and "CGI::Session::DBI" only occurs to somebody who has already
    learned about CGI::Session, which might not be the same string
    somebody thinks of when they decide they need a database schema for
    session management.

    Just my two cents... I'm going to be releasing a couple of
    database-object-driven distributions in the near future and it
    occured to me that there's no "standard" place for them to live. Can
    a namespace be registered without a package for this purpose?

    Thanks, Tyler

  enteredby:   CRAKRJACK (Tyler MacDonald)
  enteredon:   Sat Dec 31 20:27:24 2005 GMT

The resulting entry would be:

DBIx::
::DB              idhhp DBI Database schemes with perl interfaces    CRAKRJACK

Thanks for registering,
--
The PAUSE

PS: The following links are only valid for module list maintainers:

https://pause.perl.org/pause/authenquery?ACTION=add_mod&USERID=b9c00000_d69b2385910f57e2&SUBMIT_pause99_add_mod_preview=1
Immediate (one click) registration:

https://pause.perl.org/pause/authenquery?ACTION=add_mod&USERID=b9c00000_d69b2385910f57e2&SUBMIT_pause99_add_mod_insertit=1

----- End forwarded message -----