Might be a problem with you TNSNAMES.ORA  files or something like that. If
your DBD is reading  from one there should be no problem reading another
even a different version it is just a matter of changing you connection
string

for eample

  $db = DBI->connect('dbi:Oracle:','[EMAIL PROTECTED]','tester80', {
AutoCommit => 0 } );

connects me to 8i.

while

  $db = DBI->connect('dbi:Oracle:','[EMAIL PROTECTED]','tester90', {
AutoCommit => 0 } );

gets me connected to 9i

in my TNSNAMES.ORA the entreis look like this

tpgoracle8.tpg =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS =
            (PROTOCOL = TCP)
            (HOST = 000.000.000.000)
            (PORT = 8080)
      )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = tpg1oracle8)
    )
  )

and

tpgoracle9.tpg =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS =
            (PROTOCOL = TCP)
            (HOST = 000.000.000.000)
            (PORT = 8080)
      )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = tpg1oracle9)
    )
  )

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]