Might be useful to mention that we use DBI version 1.37 and DBD::Oracle
version 1.14.

  _____

From: Dan Werner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 4:36 PM
To: 'dbi-users@perl.org'
Subject: DBI/DBD::Oracle and Oracle 10g

Should it be necessary to recompile DBI and/or DBD::Oracle when upgrading
from Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 to 10.2.0.2.0?

Our DBA's recently did this upgrade, and since then, I've been unable to get
DBI working 100%.  The lingering problem is that I cannot select character
fields.  If I do "select varchar2_col from random_table" using DBI, I
receive back "ORA-03106: fatal two-task communication protocol error".
Doing "select sysdate from dual" works, as does "select sysdate,5 from
dual".  However, doing "select sysdate,'a' from dual" gives a core dump.

I did a lot of searching on that ORA-03106, and the general consensus
appears to be that messing with NLS environment vars fixes the problem.
I've tried all sorts of combinations but haven't had any success.  The vars
$NLS_LANG, $NLS_CHARACTERSET, $NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET are usually blank for
me, but I tried setting them to values I found in the table
NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS, but it didn't work.  Metalink says your're supposed
to use $ORA_NLS10 in 10g, instead of $ORA_NLS33 (of course!), and I tried
that but had no success.

By the way, this is on Solaris, and using sqlplus works fine.  Any ideas?
Thanks for any help.

Dan