Kong, Alan wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone know why the oracle child process initiated by my perl
program with parent ID of 1?
My system is HPUX 11.11 with PERL5.8.0, DBI1.48, DBD-Oracle-1.16,
Oracle10.2.0.

I have another system with HPUX11.00, PERL5.6.1, DBI1.48,
DBD-Oracle-1.16, Oracle8.1.7 where oracle child process is the pid of
perl program which initiated it.

When a process's parent exits, the unix kernel assigns process 1
(the init process) to be the parent.  This is normal unix
behavior, and the way all "daemons" run.

The difference between your systems is probably that you are
connecting differently.  In the one case, you're connecting
via sqlnet listener, and on the other, via the 'beq' scheme.

When you connect via typical sqlnet setup, your client program
(be is perl, sqlplus, or anything) makes a TCP connection to
the oracle listener, and the listener starts the oracle client
process for your connection.  That process then runs as 'daemon'.

When you connect directly by setting ORACLE_SID, your program
itself starts the oracle process, so it's the parent.

Note this has nothing to do with perl or DBI.  This is just
oracle behavior and the same with any oracle client application.
Also, this is perfectly normal.

Mark