This is a server wide configuration setting. The
benefit of using larger packet sizes is that you can
get better efficiency and throughput from the network
by sending data in larger packets, i.e. the same
amount of data is transmitted in a smaller number of
large packets and thus incur less overhead.

On the client side, it is also possible to set the
packet size for the connection explicitly, which is
apparently what your application is doing. However,
the client can only set the packet size to a maximum
of the server "max network packet size", assuming that
sufficient "additional network memory" exists. If the
client packet size exceeds "max network packet size",
you get an error and the connection fails.

regards,

David