To: <dbi-users@perl.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 12:39 PM
Subject: DBD-Oracle 1.17 gives "install_driver(Oracle) failed"

I was using Perl 5.6.x (ActiveState Windows port) to connect to Oracle 9i. The modules used then were DBI 1.48 and DBD-Oracle 1.16. I have now upgraded to Perl 5.8.8 with DBI 1.50 and DBD-Oracle 1.17. The upgrade was necessitated by the WWW::Babelfish module. Now while I'm able to use Babelfish properly, my Perl scripts are not able to connect to the Oracle database. The message send to the browser is as follows:

<cut>
install_driver(Oracle) failed: Can't load 'C:/Perl/site/lib/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.dll' for module DBD::Oracle: load_file:The specified module could not be found at C:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
 at (eval 19) line 3
Perhaps a required shared library or dll isn't installed where expected
at C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/iLCLP/iLP_Lgn.pl line 270
</cut>

While this is a frequent problem as seen by Google results, solutions are rare. Any hints would be welcome.

TIA.
--
Rohit V. Bhute
http://blog.rvbhute.org