To: <dbi-users@perl.org>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 12:47 PM
Subject: Compiling DBD::Oracle 1.17 with LD_RUN_PATH

I had just built and installed DBD::Oracle 1.17, and I found that I couldn't use it unless I had LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in my environment. However, with an
installation of DBD::Oracle 1.06, I didn't need LD_LIBRARY_PATH set.

It turns out that the Makefile for 1.06 sets LD_RUN_PATH, which then gets
included in the compiled Oracle.so file, making LD_LIBRARY_PATH unnecessary.
The Makefile for 1.17, on the other hand, doesn't set LD_RUN_PATH.

By setting LD_RUN_PATH in my environment, I was able to build 1.17 with the
path included in Oracle.so.

I'm curious why this change in behavior occured.

thanks,
Ronald