To: <dbi-users@perl.org>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:16 AM
Subject: (Fwd) Re: New Oracle "Instant Client"

----- Forwarded message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Tim Bunce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Oracle "Instant Client"
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 01:17:01 -0000

Hi..
 I am a newbie trying to install DBD::Oracle on a linux box. The
Oracle server is on a remote host.

I read online that I would have to install the Oracle Instantclient to
be able to do so.

I followed the instructions on one site and did the following:

made a directory 'instantclient'
location: /home/ralf/instantclient

'instantclient' directory has the following files.
classes12.jar
libclntsh.so.10.1
libnnz10.so
libocci.so.10.1
libociei.so
libocijdbc10.so
ojdbc14.jar
genezi

I made another directory 'lib' inside 'instantclient' and moved all
the files into 'lib'

Then i created a symbolic link to  libclntsh.so by doing the following
on command prompt.
$ ln -s libclntsh.so.10.1 libclntsh.so

Exported the ORACLE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables
$ export ORACLE_HOME=/home/ralf/instantclient
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib

Then I did the following:
cpan> install DBD::Oracle.

It failed saying:
Trying to find an ORACLE_HOME
Your LD_LIBRARY_PATH env var is set to ''

Warning: No success on command[/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL]
Running make test
Make had some problems, won't test
Running make install
Make had some problems, won't install
Failed during this command:
PYTHIAN/DBD-Oracle-1.19.tar.gz               : writemakefile NO
'/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL' returned status 512

Thanks!
-enzo660

On Mar 25 2004, 2:00 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Bunce) wrote:
On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:10:44PM -0000, Andy Hassall wrote:
> >> No headers so obviously can't compile against just this -
> >> have to use a full Oracle home for that.
> >> Compiled DBD-Oracle svn rev. 185. against Oracle 10.1.0.2

> > Thanks for this info.
> > Could you please also provide the perl Makefile.PL
> > command that you used to generate the Makefile?

> > I generate it with -F, but I had lots of errors not only related
> > to ORACLE_HOME.
> > After the make test did not work.

> You cannot compile against theInstantClient, you must compile against > a > full Oracle home.I expect that will change soonish - I've been told > they plan to
include header files in theinstantclient. Yeah!

Tim.

----- End forwarded message -----