most likly you have no 'scott/tiger' user on you db

try this

$dbh = DBI->connect(DBI:Oracle,a_db_user."@".a_db_name,a_db_password, { AutoCommit => 0,RaiseError=>1,PrintError=>1 } ) or die " $DBI::errstr\n";

----- Original Message ----- From: "Terry Maragakis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <dbi-users@perl.org>
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 2:50 PM
Subject: DBD Oracle connection problem

I am having a problem establishing a connection with my database.

The following connection specification in my program

$dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:Oracle:D102L",'scott/tiger','');

Is giving me the error:

DBI connect('D102L','scott/tiger',...) failed: ORA-12154: TNS:could not
resolve the connect identifier specified (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach) at
./test.pl line 17

When I have my environment variable ORACLE_SID set to  'D102L'  I can
establish the connection without specifying the database name:

$dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:Oracle:",'scott/tiger','');
(works fine)

I did get the following warnings during the DBD compilation, the problem
may be related to those:

dbdimp.c: In function `ora_db_login6':

dbdimp.c:385: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size

dbdimp.c:399: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size

dbdimp.c:409: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size

dbdimp.c:413: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size

dbdimp.c: In function `dbd_rebind_ph_char':

dbdimp.c:1169: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

sqlplus works without any problems.

The environment is Solaris 10 x86 64 bit. Oracle version is 10.2 64 bit
and I am running the perl program on the database server.

Any ideas?