I am working with a perl file intended to enter a postgresql database (as user
postgres), select a list of key values based on one of those values and delete
any records which match the returned results.  The purpose of the program is to
delete inactive records from the database that are over two years in age.

  (For the record, the system in question is running SuSE 9.3 os, Apache2,
Postgres 8.1.3, and appears to be running Perl 5.8.6)

  When I first ran the perl script, it did not appear to be working; entering
the database afterwards would show that the data was still present.  After
finding and uncommenting a 'commit' statement at the end, I am now ending up
with the error message

  Can't locate object method "commit" via package "DBI::st" at ./purge_acnt line
        242 (#1)
    (F) You called a method correctly, and it correctly indicated a package
    functioning as a class, but that package doesn't define that particular
    method, nor does any of its base classes.  See perlobj.
  Uncaught exception from user code:
        Can't locate object method "commit" via package "DBI::st" at
./purge_acnt line 242.
 at ./purge_acnt line 242
Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect at ./purge_acnt line 242.
Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect at ./purge_acnt line 242.

  I am asuming that the last two lines are because the program crashed,
artificially severing the connections to the DB.  (The last couple of lines of
the program are normal disconnect statements, but occur after the 'commit' line
that triggered the error.)  It's the rest of the error that I am confused
about.  If I am reading it correctly, it seems to be saying that there is no
'commit' function in the DBI.  Do I need to update my DBI files somehow, or is
there another way to prevent this error from occuring?  And if I have to
update, would someone please be kind enough to link me to a good set of
instructions on doing so?

  Thank you for your consideration.

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.