On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:47:00 +0200, Dr.Ruud wrote:
> Peter Scott schreef:
>
>> Is there a simple way to create a new table with the same structure
>> as a given one in a *different* database?  That means the CREATE
>> TABLE foo AS SELECT * FROM bar WHERE 1=2 method won't work.
>
>> I'd need to have two database handles open.
>> They're both Oracle
>
> I suppose the DBD can give you enough information on the table to
> generate a CREATE statement from that.

Yes, it does.  I ended up taking the output of DESCRIBE and tweaking it a
little.  I was just using the opportunity to wonder if there was an even
lazier way.

The suggestion of another poster to use dbms_metadata (see, e.g.
http://builder.com.com/5100-6388-5054021.html) was a good one; I'd not
heard of it before.  If I have to do more than just column type
definitions, or multiple tables, in the future, I'll definitely check it
out.

--
Peter Scott
http://www.perlmedic.com/