At 9:03 AM +1000 8/2/07, Daniel Kasak wrote:
Nice suggestion ( we do this from Excel sometimes ), but I'm actually
planning on *competing* with Access, and not using it to do the heavy
lifting for me. ie this is for a generic query engine, and not for a
specific task I have in mind.

As a tangent to that other cross-database thread, I'm hoping for some input that can help me determine priorities in my own implementation under Muldis DB.

What do you think would be the most common scenarios of a cross-database query?

Or why would data be in multiple databases, and what kinds of ways are most likely for it to be brought together in a common query?

For example, is it more common for the multiple databases with the same schema but different data, such as to implement partitioning or clusters, or are they all full replication for redundancy and performance, or do they tend to be all different from each other and just associate at their edges?

For example, what relational operations tend to be the most common between databases, eg: unions, joins to display data from both, using one to filter data from the other.

In common scenarios, is usually the same DBMS product normally used for all the databases, or are they more likely to be different products driving each one?

For those replying, please just answer the question in a generic sense for now, without regard for particulars of my project.

Thank you. -- Darren Duncan