On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Samuel_Zheng wrote:

> Hi, How can I allow my perl scripts to read an ODBC pointing to a
> access97 file? Can someone give me something to try? thanks in advanced.
> Everytime my script tries to read the file, it failed. it displays some
> unreadable characters and the error is SQL4200. Same set of script runs

Searching for "SQL State 4200" will give a few results of what that error
means.  I even found a Chinese page that Google translated as, essentialy,
a failure to open the file.  Other pages give access denied.

> fine on a XP computer. I used excel to open the access97 file and it can
> be open.

Did you use Excel on the W2K3 server to open the Access97 file?  Are you
able to write back to the access97 file via Excel?  Have you configured
DSNs (Control Panels > Administrative Tools > Data Sources(ODBC) ) on the
W2K3 server, and if so, what driver are you using?

I have *no* idea whether W2K3's native Access driver is backward
compatible with Access97.

Are you using the same login on the W2K3 machine as on the XP machine?  If
not, there could be a permissions issue there.

Where does the Access97 database reside?  On the XP system, on the W2K3
server, or elsewhere?  What are the permissions on the folder where the
Access97 database resides?

This sounds less like a perl/dbi issues and more like a Windows
configuration issue.

John