Scott Mohnkern wrote:
Well, I've figured out how to put data into a sqlite database.  I can
extract data from the command line, however, for the life of me, I just
can't find any good documentation on using Select.

What I'm trying to do:

SELECT name, size FROM filelist where uid=<given value>

This works from the command line:

sqlite3 data.dbl "SELECT name, uid from filelist where UID=\"1000\""

I'd like to pop this into an array, where I could manipulate it, where each
element of the array would contain name,size.

Read about DBI's selectall_arrayref in the pod as it returns a ref to an array of arrays as you want. Alternatively, do the fetching yourself with fetchrow_arrayref.

Use bound parameters in your select SQL:
SELECT name, uid from filelist where UID=?
- see DBI's bind_param.

Are there any good web pages on using the SELECT function?  I took a look
at:

http://souptonuts.sourceforge.net/readme_sqlite_tutorial.html

But it kind of lost me.

Scott Mohnkern

I'm not sure if you want help on use of select in SQL or obtaining result sets created by select in your Perl. The following link (if you scroll down past the ODBC stuff) does the latter:

http://www.easysoft.com/developer/languages/perl/dbd_odbc_tutorial_part_2.html

There are literally loads of SQL tutorials on the web including the w3schools one at http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp. You may have to refer back to sqllite to check what syntax it supports - I don't use sqllite so I don't know.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans
Easysoft Limited