On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:00 AM, William Gordon Rutherdale
<will.rutherd...@utoronto.ca> wrote:
> I have ActiveState Perl 5.10.0 installed and was able to use ppm to install
> DBI 1.607.  However the DBD::Pg ppm is not available at ActiveState, so I
> had to try downloading it from CPAN and building it myself.
>
> I have gcc 3.4.4 and GNU make 3.81 on the device.  I have also installed
> PostgreSQL 8.3.5 and have confirmed the server is running and I can do
> simple SQL commands using psql.

One thing I did see, you're trying to use Windows Paths with Cygwin.
As far as I know, you need to use Cygwin paths with Cygwin, not
Windows paths, meaning POSTGRES_LIB=/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/PostgreSQL.  In particular, GNU make dislikes Windows-style
paths.

I don't really recommend using Cygwin to compile things for
ActiveState, as you're basically trying to get two completely
different toolchains to co-exist.  Unless you have a lot of experience
doing that, you're in for a world of hurt.  Someone else has already
mentioned the ActiveState repository that has a copy of DBD::Pg, that
will be the easiest solution to your problem if you want to keep using
ActiveState.

> POSTGRES_HOME: c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3
> POSTGRES_INCLUDE: c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\include
> POSTGRES_LIB: c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\lib
> OS: MSWin32
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lpq
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lsecur32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lkernel32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -luser32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lgdi32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lwinspool
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lcomdlg32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -ladvapi32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lshell32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lole32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -loleaut32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lnetapi32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -luuid
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lws2_32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lmpr
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lwinmm
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lversion
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lodbc32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lodbccp32
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lmsvcrt

Cygwin won't know anything about most of the above Windows libraries,
they come from Visual C++.

In the "pimp my own wares" department, If you're looking for a
natively compiled Perl for Windows with the popular DBD drivers
already compiled and set up, you might consider Camelbox [1].

Thanks,

Brian

[1] http://code.google.com/p/camelbox/