"Unable to get host address" means that you have a problem with your name resolver.

Try to ping the DB server by using the same name as in the connect string, and from the same machine your Perl script runs on. This will probably fail. If it does, you will have to set up one or more DNS server entries on that machine, or create / update the "hosts" file (/etc/hosts on Unix and derivates, %windir%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts on Windows). If you don't know what I'm talking about, contact the administrator of the machine running the Perl script.

If both database and DB server are on the same machine, use the string "localhost" as the hostname, or "127.0.0.1".

Alexander