We're trying to run a Perl program to connect to an Oracle 10 instance, on a
RH box. From the xterm it runs fine- connects, R/W, everything is ducky. no
issues whatsoever.

Then we tried it from a browser (apache server) and it's been a nightmare
for days. After hours of research and trials, we finally managed to get past
the "Cannot load Oracle.so"errors by modifying the ld conf file in /etc.,
rebuilding the DBI, etc.

Now we've graduated to failed: "ERROR OCIEnvNlsCreate. Check (everything)"
which basically says (*something* is wrong).

We went on a second research expiditon, and checked permissions, versions,
modified ENV vars for NLS, yet nothing seems to help; we just keep getting
this same message. The fiull message suggests a problem with ORACLE_HOME,
ORA_NLS10, NLS_LANG,  and "etc" which we interpret to mean (anything at
all).

We populated NLS_LANG to match *locale*. We also tried several other options
like america.american, etc.

The error occurs at the Connect() step. I threw it into an eval{} block and
checked perlvars for messages, but they were the same as the fataltobrowser
message below.

Finally, we use the same DBI to connect just fine from a browser to mysql.
So we know the DBI is at least functioning for some DBDs.

Any advice on howe to isolate this to a file or conf value, etc would be
most welcome!

Here is the info we can extract to try to get an idea of what it doesnt
like:

available_drivers:
DBM
ExampleP
Oracle
Proxy
Sponge
mysql

ENV VARS

DOCUMENT_ROOT = /var2/www/html
GATEWAY_INTERFACE = CGI/1.1
HTTP_ACCEPT = */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING = gzip, deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE = en-us
HTTP_HOST = ournode.com
HTTP_UA_CPU = x86
HTTP_USER_AGENT = Mozilla/4.0
LD_LIBRARY_PATH = /export/apps/oracle/product/10201/lib
LD_RUN_PATH = /export/apps/oracle/product/10201/lib
NLS_LANG = en_GB.UTF-8
ORACLE_BASE = /export/apps/oracle
ORACLE_HOME = /export/apps/oracle/product/10201
ORA_NLS10 = /export/apps/oracle/product/10201/nls/data/
REQUEST_METHOD = GET
REQUEST_URI = /cgi-bin/oratest.cgi
SERVER_PORT = 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL = HTTP/1.1
SERVER_SIGNATURE =

Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server at ournode.com Port 80

SERVER_SOFTWARE = Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat)
DBI connect(...) failed: ERROR OCIEnvNlsCreate. Check ORACLE_HOME (Linux)
env var or PATH (Windows) and or NLS settings, permissions, etc. at
/cgi-bin/oratest.cgi line 32