Hi!

Since I came into this topic while writing a script: What does DBD::Oracle know about bulk operations?

In PL/SQL you can speed up your cursor loops by using bulk fetches and/or bulk updates/inserts. Instead of operating on single rows you use arrays of rows. Since DBI does not support it directly (from what I know), it could be used when doing select_all_xxx calls. Sounds simple, and, yes, I know, it is not as easy as it sounds. But I think it would speed up this calls. PL/SQL gets a boost by 5 to 10, depending on hardware, OS and other things.

When you search for DBD::Oracle and bulk, google only comes up with rather old documents dating back to 2004 and 2003. In one of those (from this mailinglist) I found:

"It is not part of DBD::Oracle yet, though there are plans to include it in a future version."

I'm a regular reader of this mailing list and I wonder that this topic did not come up again in recent years - or I just missed it ...

cu
hannes
--
Johannes Gritsch