On 18/10/10 14:02, Roode, Eric wrote:
> On Saturday, October 16, 2010 6:18 AM, Martin J. Evans wrote:
>
>> On 15/10/2010 22:20, Roode, Eric wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> DBI docs says that statement handle method execute() returns undef on
>>> error.  I have found a situation where that does not hold.  Was
> hoping
>>> someone could help me out, maybe there's a workaround.
>>
>> You need to read further down that entry where it says:
>>
>> "If the number of rows affected is not known, then execute returns
> -1."
>>
>> Admittedly, in your case it looks like an error from the driver
>> error message but it did not return an error so perhaps you stopped
>> when you saw undef for error.
>
> I knew perfectly well that -1 means "number of rows unknown".  I didn't
> see how that could apply to "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL
> Server]Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'enabled', table
> 'feeds'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails. (SQL-23000)
> [state was 23000 now 01000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]
> [SQL Server]The statement has been terminated. (SQL-01000)"
>
> That's just an error, plain and simple.  I'm perfectly willing to
> accept that it may not have been reported as an error, due to a bug in
> Microsoft's driver or whatever, but to suggest that I didn't read the
> docs and therefore didn't interpret -1 correctly is ridiculous.
>
> -- Eric

I never meant to offend you with that statement and I agreed it was an error.

You are posting on a public list and presumably wanting feedback/help. I only
know what you've told me, nothing else. Perhaps you might think about that
before leaping to the conclusion you seem to have.

I spent nearly one hour of my Saturday looking into the problem you reported so
obviously I took your report seriously.

Perhaps some calm is required.

Martin