Thanks Michael, Jonathan, and Rob for all the info.  So the database
reconnection is required with some DBD drivers but not with others.  The
software I'm writing has to be portable, so I'll go with a process-pool
approach for the server, then possibly take advantage of driver-specific
features where available.

Cheers,
James