The =encoding directive is a standard part of perl pod
http://perldoc.perl.org/5.8.9/perlpod.html#Formatting-Codes

I don't know why it's causing a problem for you. It works for
most people with perl 5.8.8.
http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=DBI%201.622;reports=1;perl=5.8.8

The quick fix is to just delete the =encoding line.

Tim.