On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 01:42:20PM -0600, Harry Jamieson wrote:
> On 8/27/2012 12:07 PM, Tim Bunce wrote:
> >On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 08:41:45AM -0600, Harry Jamieson wrote:
> >>Environment:
> >>IBM AIX 5.3.
> >>Perl 5.8.8 now linked to its 64-bit libraries.
> >>64-bit compiled test simple 0.98
> >>64-bit compiled MakeMaker 6.48.
> >>
> >>We didn't discover that IBM had shipped our AIX with Perl pointed to
> >>the 32-bit version until after we had already installed DBI, and now
> >>that we find that we must use DB2 instead of MySQL, we are forced to
> >>try to re-install everything under 64-bit.  We have re-linked Perl
> >>to 64-bit and we were successful at re-installing test simple and
> >>makemaker under 64-bit.
> >Did you use perlbrew (http://perlbrew.pl/) or use the defaults?
> >
> >Do you have to use a perl version that's over six years old?
> >
> >http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=DBI%201.622;maxver=1
> >shows the last report for DBI from a cpan tester on AIX was for 1.609
> >
> >And http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=DBI%201.609;reports=1;os=aix
> >shows only 1 pass and two fails, and those were for perl 5.10.1
> >(the pass report looks like it's for a 64-bit system).
>
> Environment:
> IBM AIX 5.3.
> Perl 5.8.8 now linked to its 32-bit libraries.
> 32-bit compiled test simple 0.98
> 32-bit compiled MakeMaker 6.48.
>
> Tim, thank you for your reply.   We have Perl 5.8.8 installed on the
> machine right now, and it has been pointed back to 32-bit.  The
> matrix that you gave me seems to show that I should update that to
> at least 5.10.1 and then try to install 1.609 of DBI.

You can't really draw firm conclusions from a single data point.

> What version of DBD::DB2 would go along with that?

I've no idea. The cpantesters matrix doesn't look helpful
http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=DBD-DB2;maxver=1

> The cpantest with the one pass and two fails was under AIX 5.1, and
> we have AXI 5.3.  I'm hoping that that will make a positive
> difference.
>
> I am new to perl and had never heard of perlbrew before.  I will
> download it once the machine has finished TRYING to bring my DB2 up
> to 8.2 so that I can load DBD::DB2.  Right now, I'm zcating the DB2
> fix pack and getting lots and lots of garbage on my screen. :(  And
> yes, I FTP'd it direct from IBM in binary.  I'll keep you up to date
> on my progress.

I can't help much beyond perl and DBI. (It's been many many years
since I've even seen an AIX machine and I've never used DB2.)

Perhaps open...@us.ibm.com can help.

Good luck.

Tim.