On Oct 22, 2013, at 10:50 AM, Alexander Foken <alexan...@foken.de> wrote:

> Just a wild guess:
>
> mod_perl sets %ENV, but *AFTER* loading DBD::Oracle, so the XS part of
> DBD::Oracle won't see the required environment variables. It is possible to
> manipulate %ENV from inside Perl (this includes mod_perl) and then load
> DBD::Oracle, or at least it was possible for a long time.

DBD::Oracle isn't being loaded until the script is run on the web server; in
theory setting the env in startup.pl is supposed to do this.

The mod_perl manual even has a specific troubleshooting section for this
problem, using DBD::Oracle as the example.

<http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#C_Libraries_Don_t_See_C__ENV__Entries_Set_by_Perl_Code>

The solution in this section *still* doesn't work.

I fear we've run into the same thing as this guy:

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17050541/unable-to-use-dbdoracle-from-apache-mod-perl>
 and we just don't have the time/patience to screw around trying all the
various versions and builds.

At this point we're giving up on getting it to work in a mod_perl handler, and
just using CGI. If we have performance issues we'll revisit the issue.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona