On Jun 22, 2016, at 1:34 PM, John R Pierce
<pie...@hogranch.com<mailto:pie...@hogranch.com>> wrote:

if root installed it to /root, no other user can see or access that.

running cpan as root is fine, since that doesn’t affect the permissions of the
final perl executables. The only thing it affects is keeping track of what has
been installed via cpan, since the .cpan metadata lives in root’s home
directory.

Heck in OS X, I have to run cpan via sudo or I can’t install anything.

 and no way no how you should be doing Oracle database work while logged on as
the unix root user.

Oracle won’t even let you install it as root as of 11.2 (at least, probably
much earlier but I went from 8.1.2 to 11.2 in one swell foop) .

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona