Hi Nigel

This usage of $ABCx or $AbcX is a wide-spread convention. E.g.
Marpa::* is exclusively used by Jeffrey Kegler, and all ours are
MarpaX::*. But there are many, many modules called ${Something}x::* as
add-ons to $Something.

And yes, for DBI and other it's 'x', elsewhere it's often 'X'.

For clarification, are you saying that my driver should be called
DBDx::XML?  The reason I ask is that all the DBDx::* modules I could
find seem to be extensions to DBI or things that use DBI, rather than
DBI drivers or backends.

Not exactly. I'm rather saying that drivers of specific types (i.e. behave in specific ways) do follow a standardized naming convention. It's then up to you to decide if your module resembles those others, or not.

Also would that confuse with the existing DBIx::XML code?  That does
something entirely different.

Indeed it would. So don't do that :-).

--
Ron Savage - savage.net.au