I'm working with images and rich media where I am saving the file in the file tree and in the DB (to be able to regenerate things and make the DB the canonical version of the data; though I'm not entirely sold on doing it this way).

I want to be able to write the LONGBLOB when the record is created but not to retrieve it in regular business operations.

What do you think? Two classes for the table? One for admin functions which has the LONGBLOB in it and one for the web app (Catalyst) which doesn't?

Is there a better trick for this kind of thing?

Thanks!
-Ashley