On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 07:43:12AM -0700, Andreas Pronakis wrote:
> Forgive me if this question sounds like asking for baby step instructions
> but I hope it will benefit other DBIx::Class starters.
>
> We have a lot of procedural code that we are looking to convert to DOM
> (Domain Object Modeling) and one of the tools we are lokoing to use is
> DBIx::Class (instead of writing our own Model which could be fun but a
> maintenance nightmare).
>
> Anyway, the set up, we are look is mod_perl, DBIx::Class, MySQL backend, and
> some sort of MVC concept but we will not (for now) be using Catalyst (don't
> ask why).
>
> Based on the above information my questions are:
> 1. ResultSet has a couple of methods related to caching, but going by the
> example given
> (http://search.cpan.org/~ash/DBIx-Class-0.08010/lib/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm#cache)
>   it seems like you have to turn caching on a per search()/find() call, is
> there some way of turning it on for the whole class (even better all classes)
> in one place (i.e. Parent class that all other classes inherit from)?

You can set the default rs attributes on the ResultSource via

__PACKAGE__->resultset_attributes() in your row class file

and globally for the schema via

__PACKAGE__->default_resultset_attributes in your ::Schema subclass.

> 3. Can we cache SQL natively in DBIx::Class i.e. the SQL executed by a find,
> search or manual SELECT - I guess if 1 and 1.1 are supported SQL caching
> might be redundant except from manual SELECTs?

DBIx::Class automatically caches prepared statements and reuses them

> 4. If there isn't native support for the above, can someone give me any
> advice and/or examples regarding using DBIx::Class and MemCache to achieve
> the same result?
> 5. I came across the module DBIx::Class::Cursor::Cached but since the
> documentation is a bit on the thin side, I was wondering if someone can
> explain it in a bit more detail.  For example is it possible to use it to
> achieve points 1/1.1 and also set a default cache_for periodf for a whole
> class, rather than individual search requests?

See my responses to (1), and I'd love a doc patch showing some examples.