I am trying to get my head around PK::Auto, my understanding of what the module does - is grab the primary key value from the newly created row, if that value was not created by DBIC but rather by the database. It then puts the primary key value in the returned row object, is this correct?

If so, I'm a little confused as to why the module wants to know what sequence was used by the database to create the primary key? As a follow up to that, what I would really like to do is have the sequence defined in the resultsource be automatically used to create the primary key prior to insert, this process being independent of any database triggers. Can somebody point me in the right direction or clarify my understanding?

--

Johnny Gebreselassie