Not to get in the way here... but I think (not a Dbix::Class/Catalyst expert)
that Len is saying that:

putting {accounts => $rs and pager => $rs->pager()}in the stash is effectively
forcing the template system to make DB calls.  It has to be even though Kenneth
didn't actually post his template code.

At first I thought it was just the pager, but I re-read and saw the $rs itself
was passed.

But I am not posting this just to pile on (and in fact, I could well be wrong
-- or correct materially but wrong in details)... but I want to ask Len:

What is bad about this design?   Especially in a case where the pager (possibly
not this one) has to fetch pages?

Is the (your) preferred design pattern to put any UI fetches behind a
webservice/ajax call?

Thanks,
Ben

On Jun 20, 2012, at 8:04 AM, Len Jaffe wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Kenneth S Mclane <ksmcl...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Len Jaffe <lenja...@jaffesystems.com> wrote on 06/19/2012 04:29:53 PM:
>
> Wow, way to jump to a conclusion. I am not making a DB call from my template,
> I just added an IF so if the field is null it displays a "0" instead of
> nothing, just a readability issue. :-)
>
> Sorry if you think I jumped anywhere.
> I assure you my conclusion was well-reasoned and reached via careful
> deliberation.

Ben Hitz
Senior Scientific Programmer ** Saccharomyces Genome Database ** GO Consortium
Stanford University ** h...@stanford.edu