I noticed this too, a while back, and wondered about it.  I believe the reason
is that for folks who want to dump a database in order to start using
DBIx::Class’s deployment tools, the authoritative view definition needs to
start living in the .pm file.  For folks, like myself, who manage the database
itself and use dbicdump just to sync the .pm files with it, the view’s
underlying query is useless in the .pm.  I agree an option would be nice.

Thomas