I'm just picking out two of your several questions. See inline...

Erik Kangas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> 2. Like SquirrelMail, our WebMail uses the "SORT" IMAP feature to speed
> mailbox access. This is VERY important for large mailboxes as it saves
> reading ALL headers on every page view.  I don't think most people would
> want to throw out their existing IMAP server and replace it with
> "dbmail" until you get SORT support.  My users would be yelling about
> the slowdown.

I would also like to see the SORT extension supported. It's in the 2.x
Development list under the "needs more discussion" section. IMHO, the results
of the discussions are that SORT is definitely an important feature to support!

> 6. How stable is the 2.0 branch and is there any significant reason to
> use it over the 1.X branch?  Is there a change list somewhere?  Will
> the upgrade from 1.X to 2.0 be seamless?  When is 2.X expected to be
> released?

The 2.0 branch has a number of new features including the ACL and NAMESPACE
extensions and an LMTP server to reduce the thrashing of starting a new
dbmail-smtp process for each message received.

The upgrade isn't seamless at all, although there are now migration scripts in
CVS, so the headaches should be minimal. Most or all of the configuration is
the same as the 1.2 series, so it's really just a matter of getting the
database schemas up to date using the database scripts.

We're currently working towards 2.0rc3. I have a patch that I'm hoping will go
in very soon so that error conditions are properly reported to the MTA during
delivery. It's a fairly invasive patch, but I prefer the route of fixing the
problem by (re-)design rather than hacking it to work well enough for 2.0.
Yes, you are correctly reading the implication that the current 2.0rc2 and CVS
do silently lose mail in some situations... it's my fault, really, because of
my new delivery chain not having had a good way to pass errors up the call
chain. The patch fixes that.

In short, 2.0rc2 and CVS are not yet ready for production use.

Aaron