Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             04-Oct-04 15:46 CEST
Last Modified:              14-Oct-04 10:19 CEST
When connecting via IMAP, all the messages have the \Recent flag set. This
flag should be set only for newly arrived messages, and should be unset by
the server at the end of the session.
See "Additional Information".

 ilja - 05-Oct-04 09:51 CEST
I'll have a look at this. I guess this is some error that's way deep in the
code..

Paul, can you take care of this in your new (2.1) code? Or have you
already done so?

 paul - 05-Oct-04 10:28 CEST
I did a quick scan through the code when this first came in. I can't find
any places where the recent_flag is actually set to zero. A complete
ommission it seems.

The procedure is actually quite simple:

when user opens mailbox and user has rw access to mailbox:
  update messages set recent_flag=0 where mailbox_idnr matches and
recent_flag=1

So all we need is a db_ call that sets the recent_flag to zero for all
messages in a mailbox, and call this from the correct location in
_ic_select. _ic_select is the only command that is involved, afaik.

Looks easy enough. I'll take care of this.

 paul - 05-Oct-04 16:39 CEST
Not that simple after all.

The call to the new function db_set_msgflag_recent() has to occur *after*
the current session.

One approach would be to update the recent_flag after each retrieval of
active flags for a message or range of messages. Very tricky at best. The
whole mailbox_t should be passed to those functions so we can move the acl
checks and mailbox permission checks to those calls.

Another approach would be to expand imap_userdata_t to include the
previously selected mailbox_t. On selecting a new mailbox, update the
recent_flag for all messages in the previously selected mailbox.

I'll start working on both.

 aaron - 05-Oct-04 18:48 CEST
Would it be possible to have a query run at logout/disconnect that marked
all visited mailboxes as no longer recent? During the session, we'd keep a
list of mailboxes that the person visited. At about the time of the
connection cleanup code, call a function that marks those mailboxes as no
longer recent.

 alessandro - 11-Oct-04 18:42 CEST
hello aaron,
the "recent" flag pertains the single messages, not the mailboxes. plus,
you have to consider concurrent access to the mailbox.
this flag is used so that only the first client to "see" a new message in
a mailbox notifies the user that there's indeed a new message.

 ilja - 12-Oct-04 17:00 CEST
fixed by Paul

 ilja - 12-Oct-04 20:12 CEST
hmm, I think I set the wrong bug to 'Resolved', sorry.

Bug History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
04-Oct-04 15:46alessandro     New Bug
05-Oct-04 09:51ilja           Bugnote Added: 0000281
05-Oct-04 09:52ilja           Status                   new => acknowledged
05-Oct-04 10:28paul           Bugnote Added: 0000282
05-Oct-04 16:39paul           Bugnote Added: 0000284
05-Oct-04 18:48aaron          Bugnote Added: 0000285
11-Oct-04 18:42alessandro     Bugnote Added: 0000306
12-Oct-04 17:00ilja           Bugnote Added: 0000307
12-Oct-04 17:00ilja           Assigned To               => ilja
12-Oct-04 17:00ilja           Resolution               open => fixed
12-Oct-04 17:00ilja           Status                   acknowledged => resolved
12-Oct-04 20:12ilja           Bugnote Added: 0000308
12-Oct-04 20:12ilja           Resolution               fixed => reopened
12-Oct-04 20:12ilja           Status                   resolved => feedback
14-Oct-04 10:19ilja           Assigned To              ilja =>