Mikhail Ramendik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Looking at the code (at least the mysql version), I see a huge
> optimization opportunity for db_get_result.
[snip]
> So: does it need to be thread-safe?

I'd like to maximize the thread safety because 1) we might begin to use
threads  in the near-future development code and 2) it's almost always
easier to read thread safe code anyways.

> If not, I'll do the change, test it, and provide the patch. So thes
> econd version: should I make a patch against 2.0, or pull CVS and  patch
> against (and test with) that version?

I think that you would do best working with CVS HEAD. I don't think we
should be afraid of destabilizing or making big changes under the hood.
It's called the development version for a reason, after all ;-)

If you do things that are easily merged into 2.0.x and provide benefits
that do not require changes to the external appearance (e.g. new database,
new configs) then we should vet those patches for stability and
correctness and get them into the stable branch.

Aaron