I'm going to brute-force by trying combinations until
I get the wanted results now, but I do not really feel
well with doing this as it might be wrong in corner-cases.

Well, I think I have mostly figured out the basics of the
new schema now. So I made a simple drop-in replacement select
statement that just pulls out message-id, size, seen_flag and
timestamp. Problem is, the new layout results in a join of
4 tables instead of 1. And the result is that it takes about
5 times as long to execute.

If you PREPARE this statement in PostgreSQL and then EXECUTE it at a later date, does it still take 5 times as long, or is this a MySQL only penalization? PostgreSQL and its optimizer/planner do really well with joins. Back in the day, I remember MySQL fell on its face after 2 joins so it wouldn't surprise me if MySQL would be slower with this, but would it be for PostgreSQL? -sc

--
Sean Chittenden