Ok, please excuse the funky formatting......., the version of Evolution I'm
using is kinda crackers......

I've put together some information about using DBmail and sendmail 8.12 (and
newer).

I put together my sendmail.cf for 1.2.7b, so this may be out of date--but I'll
post it anyhow.  I
haven't figured out yet how to make a working sendmail.mc file (so you can
compile it), so
you'll need to make the changes I describe DIRECTLY to sendmail.cf.

Find this:

# short circuit local delivery so forwarded email works

R$=L < @ $=w . >        $#local $: @ $1                 special local names
R$+ < @ $=w . >         $#local $: $1                   regular local name

And change it to:

R$=L < @ $=w . >        $#dbmail $: $1                  DBMail local accounts
R$+ < @ $=w . >         $#local $: $1                   regular local name

Find this:

# handle locally delivered names
R$=L                    $#local $: @ $1         special local names
R$+                     $#local $: $1                   regular local names

And change it to:

# handle locally delivered names
#R$=L                   $#local $: @ $1         special local names
R$=L                    $#dbmail $: $1          DBMail local accounts
R$+                     $#local $: $1                   regular local names

And add this to the end:

#
# for dbmail
#
Mdbmail,        P=/usr/bin/dbmail-smtp,F=lsDFMAw5,S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL,
                R=EnvToL/HdrToL,T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,m=1,
                A=dbmail-smtp -d $u

The first two tell sendmail to send mail in the local delivery class to DBMail.
 Remember, this will also
handle any mail sent to root on that machine!  If you want mail sent to root to
go to the original local
mailer you'll need to create a new class for that (which is beyond the scope of
this tutorial).  The last
block declares the DBMail mailer to sendmail, so that it knows how to deliver
mail to it.  This is the part
that may need to be amended.  I doubt it though.

Now if I can just get this damn e-mail client [Evolution] to work properly with
plaintext e-mails again.  No,
I'm not switching to client "X", I make up my own mind in time, and I need a
working PIM.