A BUGNOTE has been added to this bug.
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0000127
Reported By:                sr
Assigned To:
Project:                    DBMail
Bug ID:                     127
Category:                   Documentation
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             29-Nov-04 12:21 CET
Last Modified:              07-Dec-04 11:37 CET
Hope I'm not missing something, but when configuring DBMail with LMTP over
Postfix:

1) The following line needs to be added in main.cf

mailbox_transport = dbmail-lmtp

2) If using postfix build >= 2.0, using mailbox_transport
requires local_recipient_maps to be set to null:

local_recipient_maps =

as specified in http://www.postfix.org/LOCAL_RECIPIENT_README.html and in
main.cf comments as well.

3) If the destinations specified in mydestination are not dns-resolvable,
dns lookups should be disabled for the dbmail-lmtp service. The dbmail
line in master.cf should therefore look like this:

dbmail-lmtp     unix    -       -       n       -       -       lmtp -o
disable_dns_lookups=yes

I think issue 1) at least should be included in the install.postfix file?

 ilja - 01-Dec-04 12:48 CET
Issue 1 is covered in INSTALL.postfix

quoting:
"
 If you want to send all the email the MTA accepts to DBMail, use the
        following setting in /etc/postfix/transport:

        mailbox_transport = dbmail-lmtp:<host>:<port>
"

Issues 2 and 3 are useful for including in INSTALL.postfix.

Could you write an updated version of INSTALL.postfix and send it to the
list or attach it to this bug in the bug tracker?

Thanks,
Ilja

 sr - 01-Dec-04 15:32 CET
Hi, yes, the /etc/postfix/transport line is documented, but the main.cf one
is not. Of course I will write a new INSTALL.postfix file. Just please
confirm the above or point me to the bit I'm missing, and I will include
the info in new file.

 ilja - 01-Dec-04 15:51 CET
Ah, I see the problem now. "/etc/postfix/transport" should read
"/etc/postfix/main.cf" in that line.. My mistake. If you could correct
this as well, I will be happy to commit your changes. :)

Thanks,
Ilja

 jnorell - 02-Dec-04 18:01 CET
I've not set it up this way, but I believe you'd need to define dbmail-lmtp
in master.cf, and either set "mailbox_transport = dbmail-lmtp" in main.cf
(in which case your domains have to be in $mydestination), *or* put the
domains in your transports map like:

domain1.com  dbmail-lmtp:
domain2.com  dbmail-lmtp:

And then make sure that you define the transport map in main.cf, eg. with
something like "transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport".  In this
latter setup, you can put your domains in $mydestination or
$relay_domains.  I think there are other ways to set it up, too (eg. use
local_transport or virtual_transport, etc.), but let's not go there.  :)

As for local_recipient_maps, disabling them is one option - a preferrable
option is to configure them to look at dbmail's aliases table, so you
don't get so much email built up in your mail queue for bouncing mail to
undeliverable addrs.  There are examples in the mailing list archives,
eg.
http://mailman.fastxs.net/pipermail/dbmail/2003-September/003418.html

 sr - 02-Dec-04 23:27 CET
What you point out is correct, we were focusing on missing issues. I didn't
want to recompile postfix to include mysql support, and in that case you
have to disable local_recipient_maps. Thanks for your insights anyway.

 sr - 05-Dec-04 15:53 CET
Ok, I will post the new and improved INSTALL.postfix file in a few days

 sr - 07-Dec-04 11:37 CET
Here goes the file. I have added missing issues as discussed with ilja and
jnorell. Run diff to see changes.

Bug History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
29-Nov-04 12:21sr             New Bug
01-Dec-04 12:48ilja           Bugnote Added: 0000404
01-Dec-04 12:48ilja           Status                   new => feedback
01-Dec-04 15:32sr             Bugnote Added: 0000406
01-Dec-04 15:51ilja           Bugnote Added: 0000407
02-Dec-04 09:53sr             Bugnote Added: 0000412
02-Dec-04 15:39sr             Bugnote Deleted: 0000412
02-Dec-04 18:01jnorell        Bugnote Added: 0000414
02-Dec-04 23:27sr             Bugnote Added: 0000415
05-Dec-04 15:53sr             Bugnote Added: 0000423
07-Dec-04 11:37sr             File Added: INSTALL.postfix
07-Dec-04 11:37sr             Bugnote Added: 0000428