That was my fault --- I had a gmime 2.0 version
installed in the confusion of all that I was doing
last week.

I uninstalled the 2.0 version, compiled 2.1.15 , used
the same symlink from /usr/lib/pkconfig to
/usr/local/lib/pkcconfig.

One think that threw me earlier was that my Postgres
install was creating databases with UNICODE encoding
which caused some errors.  I found somewhere in a
mailing list archive that the encoding should be
SQL_ASCII, which fixed the problem.  Should this be in
documentation?

Everything is happy now.

Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl