Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             15-Aug-05 08:55 CEST
Last Modified:              29-Aug-05 22:44 CEST
We are trying to run dbmail on our company-mailserver. The problem is that
we have to restart dbmail at least twice a week because dbmail is not able
to establish new connections anymore. In addition to that Mac OS X 10.4
(Mail tool) reports quite a lot of connection errors.
>From my point of view there are some bugs in the implementation of the
IMAP protocol because even Mozilla mail causes problems from time to
time.

Currently we feel that there is a large market for something like dbmail
but we cannot use that for customers because it doesn't seem reliable yet.

 paul - 15-Aug-05 09:03
Yes, it is known dbmail will stop accepting connections from time to time.

But I would very much like to hear more about the OS X connection errors.
I havent heard about any of those recently.

I would also like to hear more about the mozilla problems since I use
mozilla (tb)  all the time.

Unless you provide specific information we can act on, I'll have to close
this report.

 Arabian - 27-Aug-05 15:30
I have the same problem happened few days ago in FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE the DB
was MySQL 5.0.9

How can I send you useful info if this happned again to the IMAPD?

 postgresql - 27-Aug-05 16:56
the problem with mozilla seems to happen in case of large mailboxes. the
strange thing is: it CAN happen (not always) that an emails stays "unread"
after being read. this happens especially when i jump around between
various mailboxes inside one mozilla / tb. i did not find a "rule" for
this behaviour yet but it seems to happen more often when dealing with
brand new mails.

as far as the OS X issue is concerned: in some cases i get the "attention"
symbol. again, no rule when this issue happens.
i would be happy if i could provide me useful information or even a patch
but things seem to be completely random.

  hans

 paul - 29-Aug-05 22:41
I'm pretty sure the osx problem is fixable, but not without a full
trace_level=5 log. I need a protocol trace, preferably against a 2.1.2
server which provides better logging of the protocol layer. Or an ethereal
log would be even better.

As to the problem with mozilla; could be any of several things. But you're
probably pushing a limit in dbmail here. Mozilla retrievs a lot of header
information from messages when opening a mailbox. This currently still
requires reading and parsing *all* unread messages. That is still too
slow, but the framework is already in place to speed that up dramatically
by using the new header tables. More work-in-progress just like the search
speedups.

Issue History
Date Modified   Username       Field                    Change
15-Aug-05 08:55 postgresql     New Issue
15-Aug-05 09:03 paul           Note Added: 0000821
27-Aug-05 15:29 Arabian        Note Added: 0000887
27-Aug-05 15:30 Arabian        Note Edited: 0000887
27-Aug-05 16:56 postgresql     Note Added: 0000888
29-Aug-05 22:41 paul           Note Added: 0000891
29-Aug-05 22:44 paul           Status                   new => assigned
29-Aug-05 22:44 paul           Assigned To               => paul