Hello,

Would this utf-8 mode for postgres be useful as the default setup for
postgres users?

According to following URL, the default character set is selected with the locale setting of initdb execution environment.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question at first.

This patch is useful for postgres users who use the UNICODE encoding.
On RHEL4 the default postgres encoding is UNICODE. So, it is at least
useful for users on such a system.

I don't think it's a good idea to use BYTEA instead of TEXT. BYTEA is for binary data. TEXT is zip compressed on the fly for example - that gives huge savings and reduced IO.

Better use 'createdb -E LATIN1' to create a LATIN1 db even if the default is UNICODE. If you want a UNICODE database I wrote a patch for dbmail at least a year ago where dbmail calls 'SET client_encoding LATIN1' on every db connect. That way PostgreSQL does the conversion.

Thomas