Furthermore, it should be backend-specific:

SQLite never requires a vacuum- it never buys anything (when autovacuum
is turned on), but this has and may change again. It's certainly
version-specific, but because it has to lock the entire database, it
would seem that doing a vacuum on SQLite without the user knowing it
would almost always be a very bad idea.

PostgreSQL could get a VACUUM ANALYZE- but only after running dbmail
after new activity- but then, we've gone to a lot of work to make sure
the Pg queries we've selected cause the "right path" to be chosen.

Because the reasons for vacuuming are different on different backends,
this really should be moved. MySQL might not require vacuuming either,
but who knows, it may be a useful hook for the dbmail backend to have.