From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Aaron Stone

>> Nope, you can't make that assumption.  The reason is that IMAP
>> supports multiple simultaneous writers.  If the mailbox changes out
>> from underneath you then you need to realize that and recompute
>> things.  Right now we're recomputing things every time so this hasn't
>> been an issue.

>Global variables, as I alluded to, and shared memory, as you mentioned,
>do not replicate. It's entirely possible that the database changed not
>just under the noses of the processes on this machine, but on other
>machines, too!

Memcached will replicate over multiple machines, albeit separately from
any existing database replication systems. May be worth a look, hitting
the memory cache will be far faster than hitting the database numerous
times.

"memcached is a high-performance, distributed memory object caching
system, generic in nature, but intended for use in speeding up dynamic
web applications by alleviating database load."

http://www.danga.com/memcached/

My 2cents