On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 00:23 +0000, Aaron Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2006, Geo Carncross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> said:
>
> > I have no idea how to attack this for _all_programs_ i.e. the community
> > at large, when really, the problems that would affect dbmail DON'T
> > affect some other programs.
>
> Write an article for freshmeat.net or one of the Sysadmin or Linux
> magazines. As you mentioned earlier the in thread, there are programs that
> behave in all sorts of different ways, with nothing particularly
> consistent about them.

I keep saying "I don't know why people use init.d" - I don't mean "There
isn't any reason to use init.d" - I mean: "I don't know of any reason to
use init.d."

For critical services, I can see a very big reason NOT to use init.d-
and for daemons in general, I can see that big reason extending to them
in some part...

I can't recommend init.d for any [critical] services- for exactly this
reason, and I don't think system administrators _should_ recommend
them.

But I'm saying I don't know why people _use_ init.d, and I'm seeking
enlightenment on that point. If I knew that I might know why there was
such animosity toward using inittab.

I've said the only good reason I heard was that it's easier to add
entries to init.d than to inittab- and that's a real good reason, except
as far as I know, NOBODY adds entries to init.d automatically except
unixish system distributors- and those people are in the PERFECT PLACE
to provide an automation for safe inittab editing.

On the other hand, I say "there is no reason for daemons to ``daemonize
themselves''" because daemonizing is a complicated process that is
already available to every way that the daemon could start- and that is
because the shell is involved in any way that the daemon could start.

I'm not adequately prepared to tell people init.d is dead yet, because I
don't know if I'm missing anything or not. I'm not completely ready to
evangelize this.

What I do know is that init.d and init.d-like methods cause a particular
problem for long-running services that inittab in fact solves.

--
Internet Connection High Quality Web Hosting
http://www.internetconnection.net/