Got it.

Problem: “Dbmail cannot connect to the database
server”. Previous posts to dbmail threads, suggest this
is a database connection problem. However the database
connection works fine. It is only when the server is
switched to ldap auth that this is showing up. Not sure of
what to do next.

Fix: Enable OpenLDAP has a setting to allow LDAP Version 2.
Uncomment the "allow bind_v2" line in the "slapd.conf".
Restart your LDAP server.

I'm assuming that dbmail requires ldap version 2, since
uncommenting this line, enabling version2, seems to fix the
problem.

BTW: I am running OpenLDAP: slapd 2.2.26 and dbmail 2.2

- Kevin

--- Kevin Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Kevin Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Reply below...
> >

> > --- Paul J Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > there.

> > > When I
> connect
> > >
> > > Could you be a tiny bit more verbose? Like some
> level5
> > > log lines
> > > perhaps... That should point to where this is coming
> > > from.
> <snip: Kevin's responses to Paul suggests>
>
> Below is a copy of my dbmail.conf.. maybe that will help.
>

> # $Id: dbmail.conf 1992 2006-02-21 07:22:57Z aaron $
> # (c) 2000-2006 IC&S, The Netherlands
> #
> # Configuration file for DBMAIL
>
> [DBMAIL]
> # Database settings
> driver=mysql            # Supported drivers are mysql,
> pgsql, sqlite.
> authdriver=ldap          # Supported drivers are sql,
> ldap.
> host=localhost
>                         #   the same host as dbmail and
> you
> want to use a local
>                         #   socket for connecting.
> sqlport=                # If you want to use TCP/IP for
> connecting to the database,
>                         #   and have the database running
> on a non-standard port.
> sqlsocket=              #/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
>
>       # When using a local socket connection to the
> database, fill
>                         #   in the path to the socket
> here
> (e.g. /var/run/mysql.sock).
> user=mail
> pass=MYSECRET
> db=dbmail
> #table_prefix=dbmail_   # Table prefix. Defaults to
> "dbmail_" if not specified.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]               #
> Postmaster's email address for use in bounce messages.
> sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail     # Sendmail executable for
> forwards, replies, notifies, vacations.
>
> # The following items can be overridden in the
> service-specific sections.
> TRACE_SYSLOG=5          # Trace level to send to syslog.
> Default is 2 (errors, fatals).
> TRACE_STDERR=2          # Trace level to send to stderr.
> Default is 0 (fatals).
> EFFECTIVE_USER=dbmail   # Root privs are used to open a
> port, then privs
> EFFECTIVE_GROUP=dbmail #   are dropped down to the
> user/group specified here.
> BINDIP=*                # The IP address the services
> will
> bind to.
>                         #   Use * for all local
> interfaces.
>                         #   Use 127.0.0.1 for localhost
> only.
> NCHILDREN=2             # Default number of child
> processes
> to start.
> MAXCHILDREN=10          # Maximum number of child
> processes
> allowed.
> [...]

Kevin Baker
Mission Vi Inc.