Aaron,

 From your wiki page:

>On the issue of a database connection pool, I think that issue is mooted
by >this architecture. There are relatively few commands that do not
require >any database interaction, and the ones that don’t are so fast to
process as >to not warrant the additional abstraction so that they won’t
tie up a >database handle for their 0.05ms of processing time.

Sorry not familar with editing the wiki so I will respond here. The need
for thread pools is limited but the database pool is a good thing to have
due to the fact that you will end up making a new connection when you get
a new pop3/imap connect, sql connections take some time  vs requesting the
data in the response and so if you have a pool of open database
connections waiting there you remove that connect lag, which gets large
when MySQL gets busy. The thread of execution then just returns the
connection back to the pool when the request is completed and thus you
elemenate the churn of opening and closing DB connections.

just my .02

-Leif