Aaron Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>
>> A NOTE has been added to this issue.
>> http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=561
>
>> Error Error setting lock. Trying again.
>> Error Error setting lock. Trying again.
>
>> You're actually seeing a problem in pool.c, set_lock.
>
> I wonder if we could switch to locking through the shared memory region
> itself rather than relying on the operating system to provide us with a
> lock file and correct operation of fnctl. Maybe just have the first byte
> of the shared memory contain a few lock bits and operate on those.

The reason for using fcntl file locks was because it's well tested and
understood. Creating a reliable locking system is not trivial in my
experience.

> I don't think it's all that critical, though. This message should probably
> be a MESSAGE level rather than ERROR, and we should add a counter so that
> if it takes more than, say, 5 tries, we throw an error.

Well, there's probably no need for such a loop at all. Lets make EDEADLK
and EACCESS be real errors that return, but for EAGAIN issue a warning
and recurse.

I-am-not-a-kernel-hacker though, so checking the posix docs might be useful.

  Paul Stevens                                      paul at nfg.nl
  NET FACILITIES GROUP                     GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
  The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl