On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 18:54 +0000, Aaron Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>
> > > Jorge Bastos:
> > > I'd like to have another thing in all daemons on dbmail.
> > > I was testing this, i did:
> > > telnet server 110
> > > and waited some time to see if the connection go away with a timeout or
> > > so, but it stayed alive.
> > > How about to have a config value to have this timeout and kill the
> > > connection when this value reach's?
> > > My idea, 0 disable's timeout, other value defines the timeout and kill's
> > > the connection when it reach's that value.
> >
> > Aaron Stone:
> > Please discuss new ideas on the mailing list first! The timeout that
> > applies in this instance is the same as the timeout once you're already
> > connected. It might make sense to have a separate, shorter timeout prior
> > to login. This needs mailing list discussion to work out the details.
>
> So, yeah, I think 30 - 60 seconds for the login timeout makes sense. Does
> anybody feel strongly that it should be configurable? Is it typical for a
> client UI to hold open the connection while waiting for the user to supply
> a new password? (In which case a longer timeout makes sense, to give the
> user time to respond).

  I have in the past done manual APOP stuff in testing, which takes
cut/pasting from the login banner and back.  60 seconds ought to be
plenty to do things like that .. probably a little nicer than 30
seconds.  I've not done the same under imap except for a plaintext
LOGIN .. dunno if it would potentially take longer there for different
auth types or not.  In any case, make sure the manual/telnet "UI" isn't
affected too much by the value selected.

--
Jesse Norell
Kentec Communications, Inc.