Thanks for the reply Roel -

Having on-disk config files shouldn't be a problem for most people. You lose
the option of updating the config via database, but how often do you need to
change it..

If keeping with databased configs, Jeff's point about the clientid matches
what I was thinking of, and sounds good.

> Mark: i would opt for different tables for different service providers;
> maybe we could implement the table to authenticate users to as a
> config-option.

I don't think it necessarily has to be separate tables, but don't have a
problem with that. Separate tables would mean having to have multiple
database connections open from all the dbmail daemons.

I currently use sendmail/virtusertable to result in a delivery username
which I use with dbmail-smtp -u XXXXX.  There's nothing stopping me or
anyone else returning a numeric userid from the virtusertable lookup, and
then using dbmail-smtp -uid XXXX as the delivery mechanism.

Provided the pop/imap daemons could be configured with an optional second
key (such as realm/domain/etc), then the lookups could key of both the
userid and this key and return the unique clientid value needed for the
mailbox/messages tables.

/Mark

PS. I notice the patches I submitted to correct the problems if you tried to
split the authentication and message databases off haven't been applied. Is
this or another appropriate fix likely to happen sometime soon?