On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 14:31, Philip Warner wrote:

> A few suggestions...
>
> 1. MAIL_PORT & AUTH_PORT
> ------------------------
>
> We use multiple PostgreSQL instances on different ports; this is not
> uncommon and insulates one PostgreSQL instance from others. I am happy to
> submit (trivial) patches for this.

great! i'll add this and save your patches in a special place :)

> 2. Support for choosing DB, Password, Port on command line (or file, or
> environment)
>
> Avoids a recompile if you change port or database, or run multiple
> instances. I am happy to do the work for this; however it may be worth
> doing it as part of a breakup of the config settings into file-based and
> db-based. The file-based settings could be limited to enough information to
> connect to the DB.

some consideration is required here: last week there have been several
posts on the config issue; should we pass the table and use config
files? Commandline options? A file might be the easiest solution; maybe
a default config-file which will be overrided by explicitly specified
files on the command line.
Support for this however is needed IMO to complete the first official
release.

> 3. Nice way to kill IMAPD and POP3D
> -----------------------------------
>
> Not sure of the recommended approach, but pop3d seems to go cpu bound if it
> is killed. It would also be good to have a way to get imapd to reload
> config (if not already supported).

Nice way. Hmm. I always use killall -9; not too nice indeed. We could
catch the SIG_TERM however and make sure the daemons exit normally when
caught. A config reload could be done by some other signal; the main
process then should kill all it's children, reread config and restart. I
thin using a 'nice' kill and restarting would be just as easy while
demanding less work.
Not sure what you mean by 'cpu bound' however..

> 4. Nice-to-have: break up mail headers into a table
>
> ie. parse the mail headers and store (a copy?) in a separate table. eg.
>
> Create Table message_headers(id, message_idnr, header, value) might contain:
>    <unique-id>, <message-id>, 'to', '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
>    <unique-id>, <message-id>, 'from', '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
> etc.

See the other mail i send; would like this in the future.