On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 03:31, Roel Rozendaal - IC&S wrote:
> Hi Klas,
>

> Our plan for the moment is to have two databases: one used in
> production and the other as hot spare. When the live machine is used,
> the succesfull update/insert/delete queries are performed at the hot
> spare as well (by means of some script running in the background). At
> failure, all there is to do is change dbmail.conf and send a SIGHUP to
> the daemons. This system has one major drawback: if the
> update/insert/delete query fails on the hot spare but already has
> succeeded on the production machine. We haven't figured this out
> completely but then again: if the query fails probably something's
> really wrong with the hot spare. What do you folks think about it?

Well, for innodb or bdb backed mysql and postgres, you could do it with
transactions theoretically, transaction the update/insert/delete
statements on the master, then do them on the hot spare, if it fails,
roll back, if not, commit.  Performance would be the question here.

For MyISAM users, another method would have to be devised.

--
Ryan Butler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ADI Internet Solutions